Monday, October 24, 2011

Back to the Homeland

I introduced in my last post that I would be going to China to teach English.
I couldn't be more excited! This past summer I began feeling rather dysfunctional. I never before had any desire to travel abroad. In fact, I still do not bear any aspiration to travel. But what I have harbored within me for a long time is the eagerness to help and provide for others. I've always enjoyed service. I joined multiple service organizations and currently am part of Provo Youth Mentoring (You should too! We need more mentors)

But how did I come to the decision of going to China? This resolution came from the spark of interest I found of connecting with my ancestral roots. I use to think I would be just fine just studying my ancestry from the comforts of my bedroom but I realized that for me to truly connect and form a link with my previous generations, I need to physically place myself there. For the same reason that modern day apostles still travel across the globe, for me to be able to forge a bond and have the opportunity to gain an emotional/spiritual channel, I want to go to the land of my fathers.

My brother and I are the first generation to have been born in America. Traveling to China would not only give my the opportunity to be where my dead ancestors were, but where my own living grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. lived for a course of their lives.
I spent a couple of months scouring the internet for programs to go through. One fateful day, what was perceived as ordinary junk mail actually revealed itself to be my answer. International Languages Program (ILP) I explored the website and read everything I could about the different opportunities offered.
After much thoughtful meditation and prayer, I knew that this was the right path to follow, with the right program to go through.
So I started the application process and I'm currently gathering the final materials I need to send the application in.
Here's hoping!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Shuan, I think that's amazing! I think that experience abroad is important for everybody's cultural awareness, and it's especially cool that you can get that in a place where you have (lots of) family ties. I'll be crossing my fingers for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great experience. And look! Junk mail works. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm pretty darn excited :)
    Now I just have to find the money to fund such an excursion..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool Shuan! I'm really excited for you, and as far as funding goes from everyone that I've talked to who have done programs like that, they say that whatever means necessary (student loans, etc) are totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete