Monday, November 14, 2011

Our Own Rosetta "Stone" sort of





What I got to help with for the making of our Rosetta Stone was the writing of the 2nd half of the project. Alicia emailed me the translation for the Greek wax that we got from the other group and the translation said, 


"Equo ne credite, Teucri! Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis.

Do not trust the horse, Trojans! Whatever it is, I fear the Danaans,

even when bringing gifts.
不要相信馬,木馬!不管是什麼,我怕希臘人,甚至帶來的禮物時," 



This project turned out to be a much more challenging thing than I expected. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fit all of the project on this one medium so I first had to write it on the project lightly. My first attempt was to large. The Greek was not going to fit on the medium with the English and the Chinese on my first try. So i shrunk down the Greek to take up a smaller space and this time it was the proper size which was awesome. It took me a few hours to pencil out all the symbols and then another two and a half hours to paint over the symbols that I had made. When I got to the Chinese, my friend Rebecca came over and helped me cause she looked at my Chinese symbols and let me know that what I was doing did not really have the flow of Chinese symbols. My writing didn't have the curves that Chinese character should. 

Also I was lucky enough to be doing my writing around my friend PJ and had him read over the Chinese that I had written. He said that my symbols were correct but I didn't have some of the symbols grouped together correctly. Lucky for me I was able to fix the problem with my writing and so now my looks good with only a mistake in one spot, an ink smear. Over all I learned that some mediums are better than other at helping to write different languages. Luckily we chose a medium that even though the message is somewhat long it was able to include all three languages very easily.








1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, Montana! You definitely rocked it.
    I'm not sure if I didn't have my parents if I could have done as great of a job as you did.
    It looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person

    ReplyDelete