Monday, December 5, 2011

The Paper

*Before I begin this blog post of the process to writing this paper, I would just like to ask if you could please bear with me if this post is not the greatest or a little scattered. Due to some personal problems I'm currently a bit compromised and unfocused. Through time I know I can get out of this rut but I just need that time first.*

For the academic paper, I considered how I would like to approach this. I considered just finding the big picture from all the books I found regarding orthography and the effect it had on print. But I realized I wouldn't have too much time to look through all the books again.
I then decided I would pick one learning outcome and emphasize that using orthography and print.
After looking over the learning outcomes list, I realized that there was something in each of the outcomes I could address and use and emphasize.

I figured out then how I could instead use 3 of the outcomes, the ones I had trouble narrowing down with, and use them to emphasize orthography and print, how each applies to the learning outcome.
The 3 outcomes I'm using are:
  • Communicating Knowledge
  • Knowledge Skills
  • Sharing Knowledge
I feel like spelling has a big impact on all of these.

I figured the bulk (body) of my paper would be devoted to them.

As for my thesis:

"Orthography has impacted general education greatly, especially since the introduction of print, and has effected how knowledge is communicated, gained, and shared."

I feel like it is a simple thesis, but straightforward. I never liked making an obscure thesis statement like my AP Lit teacher tried teaching me how to do. I feel the most straightforward thesis is what gets the point across.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Shuan--
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I think I speak for all of us when I say, let us know if you need anything. We're here for you, and we care.

    Second, I think your ideas for your paper sound great. I understand what you mean, about the learning outcomes, it can be very hard to narrow them down, but I think you're on the right track...at least as far as I understand it.

    ReplyDelete