Monday, September 5, 2011

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

Have you ever thought how you learned how to shower?
That exact question I asked my roommates. Surprisingly, we all had similar experiences.
*information about to be disclosed may not be appropriate for minors*

When we were very VERY very young, we showered with our dear mothers. And there we learned the secret workings of lathering up our hair with shampoo, rinsing with water, and repeating.
Sure, our mothers could have pulled up some instructions to read, but...is there really a need for an explanation for how absurd that seems? To be honest, we all reminisced fondly of those times we spent with our mothers. Personally, I loved it when my mother would lather up my hair for me. In turn, I learned how to suds up my hair and properly cleanse myself.

But has showering always been today's norm of "lather, rinse, repeat" ? I'm sure by now many people would know the answer to that question. (in case you don't, the answer is no..)

 I decided to research Roman baths. I've always been intrigued by the Roman empire. A period said to be ahead of its time. As I researched more into the history behind their public bath houses, it was interesting to see how not only the ritual  of bathing has changed,but also the similarities between the Roman period and now.


One major difference was the publicity of bathing. Nowadays, if someone were to strip down into nothing but their bare skin and begin bathing publicly, he would be swiftly carted off to the local precinct and charged for a whole miscellaneous of things. 
While the typical citizen of Rome may visit the bath house a couple of times a week, it was not just to get scrubby-dub clean again. There would be vendors, musicians, hire-able masseurs, bartenders, and even slaves. Sound like anything of our period? How about the modern-day spa?
Spas have just about the same perks as the ancient public baths did. All be it, more privacy can be had, but if you just compare the basics of both, the similarities are noticeable. 

Bathing for the Romans was a social event everyday. You could see your neighbor, your second cousin, your landlord, perhaps if you're lucky, even the emperor. Not only could you see people you knew or were acquainted with, but you could catch up while bathing together in the bath together! What better way to get to know each other better?  


Now in a non-sarcastic sense, bath-time really was a time meant for bonding and helped bring together families, neighbors, and communities. How can there be no bonding when you are physically close together...naked...

So Romans learned to shower/bathe not only from their parents, but from other Roman citizens that they shared the bath with. An example of how this sort of knowledge is shared and learned by seeing and doing. There was no book or scroll given as you entered the bath house that had detailed instructions on how to properly bath. So even from the ancient Romans to today's time, showering and bathing has always and most likely will always be a knowledge gained from the help of another, not some words on a page. 

Like my roommates' and my own personal experiences, the time spent with our mothers is most likely the same way young Roman children learned to bathe themselves. So bath-time bonding was the same even during ancient times as they are now. There's something sweet in that..





Want a tour of a Roman bath house?

5 comments:

  1. Great post Shuan! I found it interesting that you mentioned that the Romans were so far ahead of their time because it got me thinking about how long it took Western Society to adopt regular bathing practices... Of course this was largely because they did not have the same access to water throughout the centuries that the Romans developed so early on. However, this also means that both the social interaction of the baths and the benefits of hygiene were almost totally lost in the centuries following the collapse of the Roman Empire until more recent times, and because of that the way this knowledge was passed on must have changed somewhat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read though the Nova material that you posted and I was surprised to learn how incredibly HUGE the public baths were. There were places to eat, places to sunbathe, saunas, toilets, cool pools, places to swim, places to lift weights or play sports. They weren't just baths, they were gigantic gyms!
    That got me thinking about what we do at modern gyms. Personally, I often go to the gym with my friends where we exercise together. They share their workouts with me and even teach me proper technique when lifting weights. At the gym, I have learned some folk knowledge that otherwise wouldn't have been available to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again, with a name this time, I hope!

    Re:Jake's post: it's funny to me that you would mention modern-day gyms, because the whole time I was reading Shuan's post, I kept thinking about my own limited experience with public bathing: you guessed it, middle-school gym class. I still remember that they forced us all in there together and made us shower, and it really surprises me now that no one has ever raised a complaint about that, it seems like just the sort of thing that "conscientious parents" would get worked up about. Maybe this is unique to my experience, but I felt like I learned a lot, not necessarily about showering, but about people and social norms from that experience, what was okay and what wasn't, etc. I won't say any more, because I might need some of this for a future blog post... ^^

    Thank goodness for freshman year, when the gods of chance (or a compassionate guidance counselor) let me have Gym in my last hour of the day, so I could go home to shower instead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really had to deal with public bathing in middle school or high school. I don't think the showers were sanitary enough for use in my school..
    But for schools that did enforce that, I don't know how complaints haven't put a stop to that.
    But I do agree..once you shower with someone..you definitely know them on a whole different level.

    ReplyDelete