Saturday, September 3, 2011

Buzz Buzz

Today's post is brought to you by:             shuan

This is the start of Reinventing Knowledge.

The first post of this blog will be regarding one of the most important aspects of it: the name.

The Hive

Why The Hive? Well, it was sort of a vision. (Not in a sacrilegious way)
 
I was just in some deep thought during my walk home from campus and suddenly a bee's image popped in my head. When I got home, I used my trusty Google search and looked up "bee symbolism".
I found an interesting talk posted: The Symbolism of The Beehive and The Bee
The beehive and bee are an intriguing symbol within a little group called the Masons.
Within the Masonic textbook, it mentions the Beehive as one of the hieroglyphic emblems.
The textbook states:
"The Bee Hive is an emblem of industry, and recommends the practice of that virtue to all created beings, from the highest seraph in heaven to the lowest reptile in the dust. It teaches us that we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down content while our fellow creatures around us are in want, especially when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves."

 Well, once I read that, I instantly knew what to title our group's blog. Knowledge is all encompassing. Knowledge does not discriminate. 
Each person has knowledge. All be it, no one has the same exact knowledge, but each person knows something about something. From the humble 2 year old to the experienced 97 year old, knowledge exists. 

And much like a Hive, I believe this is how this course as well as how knowledge's nature is. 
A hive is built with the help of multiple workers. The more workers, the bigger the hive. 
Knowledge is gained with the aid of multiple people. More people that contribute, the more knowledge gained.

So there's a brief insight into how this blog gained its title.

Another fun reason for the title: we're the only group comprising of 4 males and 1 female (me). Thus, I get to call myself the Queen of this Hive. Clever? Of course.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Shuan! I'm certian that last reason is the most important. But nice connection to the Masons! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahaha! That's perfect Shuan! Love it. We'll have to work together like busy bees if we want to do well in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely amazing to see how much we have gained in just 3 weeks of class and blogging. And it would not be at all possible if we didn't all help each other in understanding and expanding upon the concepts learned and blogged about.
    Our little Hive is growing :)

    ReplyDelete